Saturday, February 21, 2009

New Clothes from Old Clothes


I am all about clothes but with this economy I almost feel guilty for wanting and buying anything new. That's why when I saw an article in the paper announcing an event where you could take some of your gently used clothing and swap for someone else's clothing, I hopped right on this opportunity. It was so well organized and just fun. I ended up with 4 great items (dress, top, sweater and purse) and cleaned out 4 items of mine that I just didn't wear for whatever reason(too small, not me). Before the swap began you were given 30 minutes to peruse the clothing but could only look. That gave you the chance to scope out sizes, styles,etc. Then everyone had to go to the front of the space where the event was held and wait until they gave the word to shop. I was fortunate and was kind of at the front of the pack so went directly to the items I had spotted. There was only one sweater that I had wanted that was already taken. The brainchild behind the event, Sunny, plans 3 more of these events throughout the year with one being dedicated to vintage clothing only.
P.S. Don't you just love her event logo.


Don't shop; swap clothes instead to save some bucks
Share: Email Story Add to Any Digg Facebook Stumbleupon
by Barbara Mathieson | February 7, 2009 at 05:23 am
102 views | 20 Recommendations | 7 comments

At the beginning of the new year, Sunny Becks-Crumpton made a promise to her husband that she would not buy any new clothes for the entire 2009 calendar year.

Her "nothing new'' challenge was inspired by a piece in the news about such a pledge in London, and she decided to go for it in the name of saving money and going green.

Honestly, it doesn't sound so bad when you consider that even with a moratorium on shopping for new clothes, you could still frequent consignment and thrift shops to get your shopping fix.

And to make it even easier, she's holding what she calls an "eco-chic clothing swap,'' where interesting women (hopefully) bring a handful of the best clothes they no longer want and swap them for other people's good giveaways.

"It was a way to bring my goal to me,'' she said, laughing at the notion of creating her own personal "swapping instead of shopping'' event to make her "shopping used only'' mission a piece of cake. "And now that it's public knowledge, I will really be accountable,'' she said.

No comments: