Sunday, January 25, 2009

Details!



Isn't it amazing that you can live so many years and suddenly just have an epiphany, but it happened to me. I just realized that I love details whether it be in the books I read, the conversations I have or just in my new paper towels with teacups and teapots.I love to know what was she wearing, what did they eat, where did they go, all those kinds of things. I guess I've always known that it was important in some area of my life but now I know it is important in all areas of my life. The problem is that my guys are not so big on details, in fact, they really dislike the details. Questions like who are his parents, where do they live, what did you eat for lunch are really irritating in their world. I am blessed to have a sister, friends and a few coworkers who also share my love of detail so they are who I go to when I need that fix.
I always enjoy a good book full of detail and I just finished a book that fits that bill. The unusual thing is this book is by a male and not trying to be sexist, it is usually the female authors who put in the details. The book is The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. I have always enjoyed his books and this one I could hardly put down because I just wanted to see what happened next.
I also love Anthropologie clothing because of the detail. You don't just find a t-shirt, you find one with detail that sets it apart from all the others.
I know that I am happiest when I have attended to all of the details in my life and have also stopped to enjoy the details in my life. So here's to more details.

2 comments:

Grace said...

You are so blessed to have your sister in your life. My sister was the happy-go-lucky type that did not concern herself with attention to any detail. She was very ill the last 18 years of her life. I imagine she did not have the energy that detail often requires.
My work in the last few years of my career involved investigation, where detail was paramount and every clue required in-depth analysis.
Now that I am retired, I love the detail and process of planning cross-country trips and re-decorating.
I dare say, if I left the planning details to my husband, we would simply drive, eat and sleep our way to the West coast. I want to see and experience all there is along the way so I do a lot of preparation.
As for decorating - lately, I like Toile wallpaper and fabric more and more. I find my interest is never ending as I enjoy the detail depicted in the different scenes.
The book you mentioned has sparked my interest. I'll read the "Lucky One" by Nicholas Sparks
Go Titans!
Grace

Grace said...

Getting back to the "Details". I would not be exactly fair if I lead you to believe that my husband does not pay attention to some details.
He is the one that makes sure the grass is cut, the bills are paid in a timely manner and that the car has gas, the oil is changed and the tires are safe. He also makes sure the taxes are paid timely and correctly (example - correct schedules).
He also makes sure the bed gets made the second our feet hit the floor in the morning. I don't know if this is considered detail or just obsession. Anyway, he's a good guy and I love having him around.
Grace.